Do you want to work in childcare?

If you are interested in working in the early years either as a nursery setting, pre-school, childminder or home child carer you can find some useful information about where to start below.


A childminder looks after young children in your own home, and you must be registered with Ofsted.

You can find out about the steps needed in order to register by visiting the Childminding pages on the B&NES council website. 

If you are interested in becoming a childminder but would like to chat to a member of the Childminding team in B&NES you can telephone them on 01225 394042 or by emailing

Home Childcarers

A home childcarer or nanny looks after children in the child's home, and again must be registered with Ofsted. 

You can find out more about becoming a home childcarer by visiting's page on 'registering as a nanny'. 

Register as an early years setting

Early years settings can care for a number of children aged from a few weeks right up until they begin school. 

If you would like to find out more about registering as an early years setting you can find further information on the B&NES pages 'how to set up as an early years or childcare business'.