Early Years SEN Support

Information about Early Years SEN Support

What is SEN Support?

The Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Code of Practice defines Special Educational Needs (SEN) as:

A child or young person who has a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her:

  • Children under compulsory school age have special educational needs (SEN) if they are likely to fall with the above definition when they reach compulsory school age or would do so if special educational provision was not made for them.
  • For children aged two or more, special educational provision is educational or training provision if it is additional to or different from that made generally for other children or young people of the same age by mainstream schools, maintained nursery schools, mainstream post-16 institutions or by relevant early years.
  • For children under two years of age, special educational provision means educational provision of any kind.

When progress continues to be less than expected, the setting’s Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) may be involved to ensure that needs are identified accurately and that appropriate support is put in place.

Once the Special Educational Need (SEN) is identified, it is very important that special educational provision is made.  The provision should be evidence-based, focused on the identified need and its impact should be monitored over time.  The assessment process and information gathering will involve early discussion with the family. In Bath and North East Somerset, children will have a Special Educational Needs Support Plan My Plan at SEN Support document.

The Special Educational Needs Support is known as the graduated approach and it adopts 4 stages - Assess Needs – Plan – Do – Review.

How can I request SEN Support for my child?

Special Educational Needs Support should be documented in an SEN Support Plan that the setting will develop with you and review.  Aspects that might be in the SEN Support Plan include:

  • a special, differentiated learning programme for your child
  • making or changing materials and equipment
  • working with your child in a small group
  • focused observation and record keeping
  • extra help in supporting your child’s understanding
  • helping your child to take part in activities in the setting
  • making sure your child has opportunities to try something they find difficult, and are encouraged to do so
  • helping other children work with your child, or play with them&
  • supporting your child with physical or personal care, such as eating, getting around school safely, toileting or dressing
  • advice and/or extra help from specialists such as specialist teachers, educational psychologists, and therapists.

The below video gives an outline of the process of getting an EHCP for your child. It also looks at the One Page Profile, Early Help Assessment (sometimes known as Common Assessment (CAF)) and touches on the transitions from nursery to school. The video gives a real life prospective from a parent of a child with SEND.

Contact information

Please contact your child’s setting in the first instance regarding your child’s progress. You can search for settings on the Children and Families section of this website.