Mediation and Complaints (Education and SEND Provision)

Information about Mediation and Complaints for Education and SEND Provision

If you have a concern about support your child is or is not receiving:

If you are unhappy with an aspect of support regarding your child’s special educational needs (SEN), there are a number of things you can do:

If you are unhappy about the support your child is receiving at school:

In the first instance, contact your child’s teacher, Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator or the Headteacher. Please see SEN Support for information about what steps to take if you are concerned your child may have a special educational need or requires extra support at school.

If your child is already receiving SEN Support at school:

If you feel your child requires additional support despite having an SEN Support Plan, you can request a statutory Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment for your child.

If your child already has a statutory Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan:

You can contact the Statutory Special Educational Needs team or your child’s SEND Practitioner directly.

How to make a complaint

Before making a complaint, you should consider speaking with the particular service or provider in the first instance. This often can be the quickest way to resolving your concerns.

If you would like to make a formal complaint regarding a school, college or Bath and North East Somerset Council, you can make a complaint using their complaints procedures.

Making a complaint about early years, school or college provision

Please contact your child’s early years setting, school or College directly regarding their complaints procedure. 

Making a complaint to Bath and North East Somerset Council

To make a complaint about Children’s Services please see Complaints about Children’s Services 

When making a complaint

  • You should put your complaint in writing, clearly marking your letter or email using the word ‘complaint’
  • Be clear about the specific issues 
  • Be aware that different services have different procedures and timescales for responding to your complaint.

Disagreement Resolution

Disagreement resolution service is an independent service that will provide a trained mediator to facilitate a discussion. The purpose is to look for a way forward that all parties agree to. The service is free and confidential.  

Local authorities must make a disagreement resolution service available to parents and young people, is voluntary and must be with the agreement of all parties. In Bath and North East Somerset, Global Meditation facilitates the Disagreement Resolution Process.

You can find out more about when the disagreement resolution service can be used in “What If I do not agree with decisions about SEN Provision Factsheet” you will find on the SEND Partnership website

Mediation and Appeals

Mediation is a type of disagreement resolution for disagreements that can be appealed to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal. In Bath and North East Somerset, Global Meditation can be used to facilitate the mediation.  This service is free and confidential.  However, parents and young people can chose to use any mediation service.

More Information about this service can be found in the “What If I do not agree with decisions about SEN Provision Factsheet” found on the SEND Partnership website

Appeals to the SEND Tribunal

Please see our SEND Tribunals page for more information

Contact information

If you wish to raise concerns with your child’s school, please contact the school directly.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan, you can contact their SEND Practitioner or the Statutory Special Educational Needs Team

For information about meditation, please visit our Global Mediation page